A failing chimney is not only an eyesore; it can also be a dangerous safety hazard. Chimney repairs can get expensive and time-consuming. Many of the chimney issues we see on a daily basis can be easily prevented by taking some initiative. If you want to enjoy the fireplace in your home safely, you will need to ensure the chimney is properly maintained. It is never a good idea to put off chimney repairs since many of them can impact your home and cause significant, expensive repairs later on. Here are some of the most common chimney problems to look out for.
One of the most common chimney problems is a cracked flue. The flue is the chimney opening that allows smoke and fumes to escape. If the flue gets damaged, heat from the fireplace can enter your home, melting insulation and potentially causing a house fire.
Most chimneys are constructed with clay tile or stainless steel flue lining. While clay tile lining is more affordable, it provides the least protection from cracking. Scheduling a chimney inspection can reveal cracks or problems in the chimney’s flue.
Another common chimney hazard is a blocked chimney. Chimneys are meant to draw the smoke and toxic gases up and out of your home. If the flue becomes blocked by animal nests, creosote buildup, broken masonry, etc. The toxic smoke and fumes will escape back into your home. This can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Chimney fires can also occur if the debris inside the flue catches on fire. These fires are dangerous because they can damage the chimney’s internal structure, causing it to fail.
Woodburning fires produce more than just smoke; and they also create a thick tar-like substance called creosote. Over time, creosote can build up inside the chimney, causing a dangerous fire hazard. To prevent the buildup of creosote, soot, and other byproducts, make sure you have your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly.
Moisture damage to your chimney is caused by the constant freeze-thaw cycle or because of leaks in the chimney flue or crown. These leaks will often lead to rusting of the damper or firebox. It can also cause damage to the chimney liner, which may allow water to seep into ceilings or walls. Excess moisture is the optimal environment for mold, which can cause foul odors and poor air quality.
Call the Experts at Champion Chimneys for Chimney Cleaning Today!
Champion Chimneys, Inc. is a fully licensed, bonded, and insured chimney service company that has served customers in Baltimore County, Howard County, and Anne Arundel County, Maryland since 2001. Our team is trained and certified by Certified Chimney Professionals, Inc. (CCP, Inc.). Courteous service is our trademark, and our crews arrive on time in uniform, driving fully equipped trucks. We specialize in all aspects of your chimney system. Whether you need chimney and flue cleaning service or a full chimney rebuild or inspection, contact us at 443-Chimney today and let us fix all your chimney problems. Also, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.