Today we’ll be sharing three ways that negligence hurts your chimney. There is a reason why we stress that each year, homeowners should have their chimneys professionally inspected and swept. The worst-case scenario is a chimney fire happening, and we can’t imagine that any homeowner would want to go through that. Read on as we talk more about chimney negligence.
1. Too Much Creosote = A Fire
Creosote occurs when smoke, gases, tar fog, and other combustion by-products exit the colder, upper walls of your chimney in the condensation process. Creosote can vary in color and appearance, and stick to the walls of chimneys as black or brown substances that can be hard, sticky, drippy, crusty, and flaked. So, what’s so dangerous about this naturally-occurring residue? It can combust when there’s too much of it, and the internal flue reaches a very high temperature. If this happens to your chimney, then have no fear. Champion Chimneys is here to remove creosote buildup and keep your home safe.
2. A Leaky Chimney Leads to Water Damage
What’s dangerous about water damage or penetration is that it can lead to mold. It can also lead to expensive mortar repairs, which you can entirely avoid. When mortar joints erode, the effect is quite devastating. They hold together the bricks of your chimney. If you notice that your home has a moldy smell, we suggest that you check your fireplace to see if that’s the source of the foul scent. If so, call us ASAP. Also, check for loose bricks.
3. A Cracked Flue Liner May Lead to Carbon Monoxide Entering the Home
A cracked, damaged, or non-existent flue liner gases such as carbon monoxide can become present due to combustion having an open in your home. Chimneys need liners, as we have expressed many times. Chimney fires, like carbon monoxide poisoning, can cause death. If your liner is subpar or non-existent, we can replace it or install a new one.
Fireplaces are beneficial to the home for several reasons. Aesthetically speaking, they make a home more beautiful. They serve as an entertainment hub for family and friend bonding. Most importantly, they keep your home nice and toasty during the colder months. Because fireplaces do all this, it makes a difference when you don’t neglect your chimney.
Don’t Be in Despair If Your Chimney Needs Repair
Champion Chimneys, Inc. is a fully licensed, bonded, and insured chimney service company that has been serving customers in Baltimore County, Howard County, and Anne Arundel County, Maryland since 2001. Our team is trained and certified by Certified Chimney Professionals, Inc. (CCP, Inc.). Courteous service is our trademark, and our crews arrive on time in uniform, driving fully equipped trucks. We specialize in all aspects of your chimney system. Whether you need chimney and flue cleaning service or a full chimney rebuild or inspection, contact us at 443-Chimney today and let us fix all your chimney problems. Also, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.