Skip Navigation

Fireplace Safety Tips You Should Know

fireplace safety tips champion chimneys

A properly maintained fireplace reduces the risk of fire or a dangerous accident.

While a fireplace adds warmth and ambiance to your home, it is important to use your fireplace safely. A properly maintained fireplace reduces the risk of fire or a dangerous accident. It is important to keep pets and small children safely away from a lit fireplace. Whether you have a gas fireplace or a wood-burning fireplace, there are crucial things you should keep in mind to keep your home safe. Here are some easy tips for any home.

Keep Your Fireplace Clean

Clean out ashes from previous fires. Ash levels in the bottom of the fireplace should be no more than one inch thick because a thicker layer limits the air supply to logs, causing more smoke. Have your fireplace cleaned annually to avoid creating fire hazards. Even if the chimney is not due to be cleaned, it is important to check for animal nests or other obstructions that could prevent smoke from escaping. Keep any flammable materials away from the fireplace at all times, such as plants, curtains, or Christmas decorations. 

Light Your Fire Correctly

Only use the proper type of firewood in your fireplace. Hardwood like hickory, oak, and maple make the best firewood as they do not leave much ash. Always use dry and well-aged wood when lighting a fire. Wet wood produces more smoke and leads to soot buildup in the chimney. Dried wood burns with less smoke and burns more evenly. Smaller logs are better to burn because they produce less smoke. Leave the fireplace doors open and use a fireplace screen when you have got the fire lit. If the glass doors remain shut, they could shatter due to being exposed to the high heat. Keep the damper or flue open until the fire is out to draw smoke out of the house. 

Educate Your Family About Fire Safety

Never leave a fire burning unattended. Extinguish the fire completely before going to bed or leaving the house. Also, do not let small children play near the fireplace unsupervised. Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector if you do not already have one. A carbon monoxide detector is an essential component of fireplace safety. This deadly, invisible gas is becoming a threat in more of today’s energy-efficient fireplaces. Excess carbon monoxide levels is usually due to faulty burning in, or poor venting of, a fireplace.

Call the Experts at Champion Chimneys Today!

Champion Chimneys, Inc. is a fully licensed, bonded and insured chimney service company that has served customers in Baltimore County, Howard County, and Anne Arundel County, Maryland since 2001. Our team is trained and certified by Certified Chimney Professionals, Inc. (CCP, Inc.). Courteous service is our trademark, and our crews arrive on time in uniform, driving fully equipped trucks. We specialize in all aspects of your chimney system. Whether you need chimney and flue cleaning service or a full chimney rebuild or inspection, contact us at  443-Chimney today and let us fix all your chimney problems. Also, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, May 21st, 2021 at 1:05 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.